Breast Lift Care Instructions
for Our Baltimore, Maryland Area Patients
Appropriate pre- and post-operative actions can maximize the results of your breast lift procedure. At his Baltimore, Maryland area center, cosmetic surgeon Ronald Schuster, MD works with each patient to develop personalized treatment planning with superior results.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE BREAST LIFT SURGERY:
- Stop taking aspirin and products containing aspirin.
- Confirm your “pre-op history and physical” appointment with your family doctor/internist.
- If you develop a cold or illness prior to breast lift surgery, please notify our Baltimore, Maryland area center.
- Vitamins are important in healing. Begin taking multi-vitamins with C, minerals and iron.
- NO SMOKING
- Make certain arrangements have been made to have someone pick you up after breast lift surgery and to stay with you for the first 24 hours.
- Stop all herbal and phentermine-type medications as well as supplemental Vitamin E. The small amounts of vitamin E found routinely in standard multivitamins is fine.
TWO DAYS BEFORE BREAST LIFT SURGERY:
- Go to the drug store and fill all prescriptions.
- Go to the grocery store to buy “light foods” such as juices, tea, soup, toast, crackers, bagels, jelly, etc.
- Buy Betadine™ Scrub liquid soap.
- You may want to purchase a stool softener, such as Colace, as pain medication may cause constipation.
EVENING BEFORE BREAST LIFT SURGERY:
- Shower with Betadine™ soap for three full minutes. Avoid contact of jewelry with Betadine™; it stains.
- Eat lightly – avoid heavy or gassy foods.
- Get a good night’s rest.
- Do not eat or drink anything after 12:00 midnight on the night prior to breast lift surgery.
DAY OF BREAST LIFT SURGERY:
- Do not eat or drink anything prior to surgery. DO NOT SMOKE.
- Shower with Betadine™ for three full minutes. Do not put on any make-up or deodorant after washing.
- Do not wear wigs, hairpins, hairpieces, or jewelry. Dress in loose comfortable clothes. Do not wear pullover tops or panty hose.
- Have someone drive you to your surgery and make certain a responsible adult will be available to take you home and stay with you for 24 hours after your breast lift procedure.
AT HOME AFTER BREAST LIFT SURGERY:
- After breast lift surgery, it is important for you to rest but not to stay in bed. You may lie on your sides or back. While in bed, move your legs and feet to increase the circulation in your legs.
- A small amount of bloody drainage through the bandage is normal.
- For the first 48 hours, keep your arm movements to a minimum. You may brush your hair and teeth. Do not use your arms to support yourself or lift anything heavy. Afterwards, you may begin to increase your arm movement gradually.
- A liquid diet is best for the day of surgery. Begin by taking liquids slowly and progress to light diet as tolerated. You can start with a regular diet the next day.
- Any discomfort should be relieved by the pain medication. Take extra-strength Tylenol™ or Ibuprofen (Motrin™/Advil™) regularly to help with general discomfort. You may then take the additional prescribed pain medication as needed.
- It is normal to have pain and swelling after any breast lift surgery. However, call our Baltimore, Maryland area office immediately if the breast swelling feels hard or appears much larger on one side than the other.
OTHER POST-OPERATIVE BREAST LIFT INSTRUCTIONS:
- Keep your bandage clean and dry. Sponge bathe only. You will remain in bandages for about one week. One week after breast lift surgery, when your bandages are changed, plan to buy a “post-op” bra after visiting the office. “Elastic” support or sport bras work well. Avoid underwire bras as they may cause discomfort. You will probably continue using this type bra for about a month after surgery as your breasts continue to heal.
- If drains have been used, empty and record the drains three times daily.
- NO SMOKING for two weeks after the surgery.
- Bruising and swelling are expected after breast lift surgery. This will disappear with time. Be patient. It takes three months for breasts to regain their softness and natural appearance.
- Spotty areas of numbness are common and may last six weeks to six months. Avoid underwire bras until a good amount of feeling has returned.
- Feelings of sharpness, burning and other sensations are common during the healing process.
- You may drive one week after breast lift surgery provided you are comfortable enough to stop in an emergency.
To learn more about the breast lift procedure, please contact our Baltimore, Maryland area practice to schedule a consultation with Dr. Schuster.