Eyelid Surgery in Baltimore
There are many factors that affect the appearance of our eyes. Familial or ethnic traits and tendencies account for how our eyes look as a child. As we grow older, the aging process, exposure to sun, gravity, and our own personal expressiveness play a part in how our eyes appear to others. Often patients complain that they look tired, angry, or sad, even when they feel perfectly fine! At his Baltimore plastic surgery office, Dr. Ronald Schuster performs eyelid surgery to help reduce the look of wrinkles and excess sagging skin and help his patients enjoy a more youthful and refreshed appearance.
Purpose of Eyelid Surgery:
- To remove excess skin and wrinkles from upper eyelids
- To remove fatty “bags” from lower eyelids
- To improve the appearance of wrinkles or lines in and around the eyelids
- To improve an excessively deep or hollow appearance of the eyes
- To improve appearance and help patients look younger, rested, and more awake
If sagging eyelids cause you to look tired and aged, eyelid lift surgery with Dr. Schuster can help. Learn more about eyelid surgery and contact Dr. Schuster’s Baltimore, MD practice for more information.
Eyelid Surgery Techniques:
- The transconjunctival approach removes lower eyelid bulges without any external scars. This technique is performed from within the inside of the eyelid, but is not appropriate when excessive skin needs to be removed.
- The transcutaneous approach may be necessary to remove excess skin of upper or lower eyelids.
- Lower eyelids – Transcutaneous eyelid surgery can be used to correct “grooves” and “bags” of the lower eyelids. Dr. Schuster is careful to avoid or correct “over resection” of fat, which creates a hollow, older appearance. Incisions are made below lower eyelashes and heal exceptionally well.
- Upper eyelids – Excess skin and puffy fat are removed with the transcutaneous eyelid surgery technique. An incision is made in the natural crease, so scarring is extremely discreet. Sometimes a condition called ptosis is also corrected. This condition causes the eyelid to look sleepy or droopy, and is the result of a weakening of the upper eyelid muscles
- At our Baltimore area center, these eyelid surgery techniques may be combined with face lift or brow lift depending on each person’s needs. Additionally, patients may wish to undergo liposuction, tummy tuck, rhinoplasty, breast augmentation, breast lift, breast reduction, or other cosmetic procedures as well.
- At our plastic surgery center in Baltimore, eyelid surgery is typically performed as an outpatient procedure
- Fast recovery with minimal discomfort
- Recommend four to seven days off school/work
- Bruising may last one to two weeks but can be covered by makeup after just a few days
- BOTOX® Cosmetic – Excellent for treating the wrinkles and lines in the frown, forehead and crow’s feet areas. Can produce a “non-surgical” brow lift, which helps to make your eyes more open and vibrant.
- Chemical Peels – Can improve skin texture and reduce the look of fine lines, especially on the lower eyelids.
- Restylane® and other Fillers – Used for filling in fine lines and reducing the hollow look in the lower eyelid area.
- Laser Resurfacing – Excellent for smoothing the skin, tightening the skin and reducing lines and wrinkles.
Recuperation After Eyelid Surgery:
Eyelid Surgery Alternatives:
Contact plastic surgeon Ronald Schuster, MD, serving patients in Baltimore and surrounding areas, to learn more about eyelid surgery or non-surgical alternatives for treating lines, wrinkles, puffiness, and other concerns.