Chin surgery is a facial cosmetic procedure that achieves several outcomes:
- Chin reduction
- Chin re-shaping
- Chin augmentation
- Reduction of chin fat (i.e. a double chin)
Although the chin is sometimes overlooked, it has a significant influence on the overall appearance of your face. If you feel like it’s too big, too small, has too much extra fat or looks out-of-sync with your other features, then this procedure may be right for you. To learn more about it, please call the practice of experienced Baltimore plastic surgeon Dr. Ronald Schuster at 410-902-9800.
Why Some People Get Chin Surgery
Here are some of the most common reasons people undergo this procedure:
- Weak or recessed chin
- Asymmetrical chin area
- Excess fat deposits beneath the chin
- A chin that is too large or wide
- Facial profile that looks unbalanced or ill-proportioned
- Facial asymmetry or facial features that don’t seem to go together
See the before-and-after gallery of Dr. Schuster’s patients to get an idea of the results.
It may make sense to combine chin surgery with another procedure like rhinoplasty, eyelid surgery or a neck lift. Sometimes, a combined approach is the best way to achieve a consistent, natural result. Dr. Schuster will meet with you so he can listen to your concerns and goals. He’ll examine your facial anatomy and chin characteristics so that he can make tailored recommendations specific to you.
Chin Surgery Techniques
Below are some of the ways this procedure is completed.
- Augmentation: Dr. Schuster will choose from a variety of implant sizes and shapes to create the prominent, strong chin you are envisioning. He has the experience to tailor the implant to your facial features, so that the final result is natural and flattering. Small incisions inside the mouth or under the chin are used to insert implants. Sometimes implants are not the best solution, and instead the chin bone needs to be cut and moved. Dr. Schuster will be able to advise you honestly about which is the best procedure for your chin.
- Reduction and/or re-shaping: Using a small incision inside the mouth or under the chin, Dr. Schuster can re-shape the bone to alter and improve the appearance of the chin.
- Non-surgical changes: It is very popular and easy to create big changes in the chin with non-surgical fillers and BOTOX Cosmetic.
Chin surgery is most often outpatient, so you will return home after surgery, once Dr. Schuster has made sure your recovery is on track. You’ll need to take about a week off from work, but the recovery generally has minimal discomfort. You should be able to get back to your full range of activities after two weeks.
Chin implants provide lasting results. In many cases, results are permanent. Aging will change your face, but you should continue to enjoy your new chin shape and size throughout the years.
Arrange a Chin Surgery Consultation in Baltimore
Ready to find out if chin surgery is a good match for your goals? To arrange a consultation at the cosmetic surgery practice of Dr. Ronald Schuster, please call our staff at 410-902-9800. We are proud to provide quality care and results for people from our area, including Towson and Owings Mills.
*Individual results may vary