Breast Lift Surgery in Baltimore
Sagging, drooping breasts are something a lot of women experience. Feeling unhappy about this deflated breast appearance can change your body language and the way you perceive your beauty. Breast lift surgery restores perky, firm breasts with a rounder shape. If you like the way your breasts look in a bra, but not when unsupported, then this breast procedure may be right for you. To arrange a consultation in Baltimore with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Ronald Schuster, please call us at 410-902-9800.
Breast Lift Candidates
Breast lift surgery may be right for you if any of the following apply:
- You are unhappy with the shape of your breasts
- You are okay with the appearance of your breasts while supported by a bra, but not the way they look without support
- Your breasts are saggy, elongated, deflated and/or droopy
- The nipples are pointing downward
- The skin has stretched and the nipples have fallen too low on the breast crease
- Your breasts are more flat than round
Elongated breasts can be genetic, but these breast characteristics usually arise later in life as a result of pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight fluctuations and the aging process. Breast lift surgery re-shapes the breast gland to create a perky, more youthful bust.
The Mastopexy Procedure
The breast lift procedure involves re-shaping the breast tissue. Dr. Schuster will create incisions to do this. Although this surgery does create visible scars on the breasts, Dr. Schuster wants each of his patients to have results they’ll love. He creates the most minimal incisions and places them where they are least obvious.
Where Are Incisions Made?
The incisions chosen by Dr. Schuster depend on the degree of laxity and sagging tissue. Circular incisions may be made around the areolas only, or these circular incisions may also extend vertically down below the breast crease. Nipple sensation should not change.
Preparing for Breast Lift Surgery
Dr. Schuster and the staff make sure you have complete information and know how to get ready for surgery. Pre-op guidelines include:
- Go to a pre-operative physical checkup with your family doctor
- Stop taking aspirin and products containing aspirin two weeks prior to surgery
- Inform us if you get sick with a cold or any other illness in the two weeks prior
- Take a multi-vitamin containing vitamin C, mineral and iron in the weeks prior
- DO NOT smoke for three weeks both before and after surgery
- Make arrangements with a spouse, family member or friend to pick you up after your breast lift procedure and stay with you for at least 24 hours
- Don’t take herbal supplements or supplemental vitamin E in the two weeks prior (small amounts of vitamin E in multi-vitamins are fine)
Two days before your breast lift appointment, you’ll fill your prescriptions, buy light foods from the grocery store, purchase Betadine™ soap and any products you want during recovery. Shower using your Betadine™ soap the night before surgery. You should also eat a light meal that evening, get a good night’s rest, and do not eat or drink anything after midnight.
Don’t eat or drink anything when you get up in the morning before surgery. We’ll let you know not to wear any jewelry, hairpins or hairpieces. Wear comfy, loose clothing.
Breast Lift Recovery
You’ll rest in bed when you get home. It’s important to get up and walk around every hour or so to get your blood flowing; don’t stay in bed. You can also move your legs around while you’re resting to keep blood circulating.
Stick to liquids for the rest of the day after surgery. Progress to a light diet as you feel up to it. Discomfort should be alleviated by pain medications, or extra-strength acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
Bandages will need to be kept clean and dry. We’ll instruct you how to sponge bathe. Bandages will stay on for about a week. We’ll give you information about buying a post-op bra to provide the right kind of support about a week after surgery. You’ll continue to wear it for about a month. If you smoke, don’t smoke for at least two weeks after surgery.
It’s normal to have bruising and swelling after surgery. It will go away with time. Your breasts may feel tender and swollen, but they should feel normal, and look soft and natural again, about three months later. There could be residual spots of numbness for six weeks to six months. A week after breast lift surgery, you can drive yourself and go back to work.
Time To Invest In Yourself
Dr. Ronald Schuster is a board-certified plastic surgeon in Baltimore. He believes each women deserves to look and feel like the very best version of themselves. Sometimes the boost provided by a breast lift is exactly what’s needed to make the inner energy and youthfulness match the outside. The next step is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Schuster by calling 410-902-9800. We proudly provide cosmetic surgery care to women from across the region, including Owings Mills and Towson.
*Individual results may vary