Are you one of those people that are waiting for the perfect time or age to undergo the cosmetic procedure? You could really be doing yourself a disservice, especially if you don’t have the right skin care maintenance already in place. Let’s talk about how we can help you maintain, protect and preserve your youth and beauty with skin care tips before and after plastic surgery.
We see many of our patients neglect themselves by waiting for a certain age/time to have their plastic surgery in hopes of getting rid of all their imperfections. Unfortunately, during the wait, they allow sun-damage to occur and use sub-par products, causing aging to happen at a rapid rate. Your face begins to look worn and tired due to rapid aging from sun damage which causes sagging from the effects of gravity and the stretch of facial expressions.
Already had a cosmetic procedure? Skincare maintenance should be in your vocabulary too! It would be great if a single procedure would completely turn back the clock and halt the aging process. But unfortunately, aging is dynamic and continues on, whether we like it or not. Consistent skin care maintenance with medical-grade skin care and procedures also help the fresh look of your procedure last a LOT longer.
As we accept that aging is a fact of life and with that comes maintaining our health, such as caring for our teeth. Dentists say take care of them or lose them. Dr. Schuster says, “Skincare is like exercise. It’s good to change your routine and similar to swapping out exercises, swap out your products. It keeps your skin looking its best.” Skin care is another aspect of maintenance and beauty routines that you’ll visually see the benefits from. It should be viewed as a health AND beauty routine rather than a luxury or pampering expense. Your skin is your largest organ. TAKE CARE OF IT!
Routine skin care basics:
- Cleanse – Cleansing, crucial to keeping your skin healthy, removes dirt, pollution and the dead skin cells that can make your complexion look dull. You want a gentle and hydrating cleaner that does not strip the skin of its natural moisture barrier. Tip: It should be a nonsoap formula, gentle, and—most important—suitable for your skin type*
- Exfoliate – Exfoliation is the best way to get rid of old, dead skin cells and make way for newer healthy ones. It also helps refresh dull skin tones and evens dark spots on the skin. Slough off the dead skin to increase new skin cell turn over and also see a visible glow. Tip: Depending on skin type* do this 3x a week.
- Moisturize – Moisturizing is key because it helps support the skin barrier. Add moisture to your skin to keep it from looking—and feeling—dry. Depending on your skin type*, apply a treatment serum that contains antioxidants like vitamins C and E and a moisturizer that contains a humectant, like hyaluronic acid or glycerin which draw moisture to the skin. Tip: Do not over moisturize! Your skin will get used to it and stop producing its natural moisture.
- Sunscreen – Protect your skin from sun damage, which can cause both skin cancer and signs of aging, like spots and wrinkles. These rays damage your skin and can cause more harm to your health. Tip: Wear SPF everyday rain or shine even if you are indoors. There are harmful rays from your computer screen even.
Supplemental Anti-Aging Steps:
- Retinoic Acid (Vitamin A) – Helps improve the maturation of your skin from the bottom up by building elastin and collagen. It also primes the skin making other products more effective.
- Bleaching Agent – To correct and prevent discoloration and hyperpigmentation (age spots). Brightening your overall complexion.
*There are a lot of harsh products out there and skin types vary. That’s why it is best to have a thorough skin care evaluation with a specialist to determine the right products for your daily routine.
Our skin care company, glowMD offers medical-grade, anti-aging products and procedures to help you maintain your youthful glow whether you’ve had surgery or not. Our nurse specialist, Mary Tatar is highly skilled in various treatments and will customize a plan for your skin’s needs. It is essential to take care of your skin and face as early as possible, with regular, even small interventions, so that you can stay fresh and youthful looking much longer. And then when it is time to consider Plastic Surgery or other cosmetic procedures, you will need less and your results will last longer!
Call today to schedule your free skin care evaluation with nurse specialist Mary Tatar R.N. (410) 902-9800