Otoplasty / Ear Pinning Surgery
Cosmetic surgeon Ronald Schuster MD can help patients who are concerned about the size or projection of their ears determine if otoplasty, or ear pinning, is an appropriate choice for them.
Purpose of Otoplasty:
- To improve appearance of ears when viewed from all directions
- Indicated for children as well as adults. Surgery on children helps to avoid social teasing such as being called “Dumbo,” “Elephant Ears,” etc. Surgical correction as an adult helps to relieve years of feeling self-conscious about appearance; improves the variety of hair styles one can be comfortable wearing
- Surgery can be performed at about seven or eight years of age. Surgery at this age does not interfere with normal ear growth and children have not yet formed their social groups, which can often be based on appearance
- The shape of the ear does not affect hearing, either before or after surgery
- Surgery is designed to correct or “set back” protruding ears, as well as to form the natural folds and curves in the ear
- Surgery is performed through the back of the ear without visible scars
- Otoplasty may be combined with other procedures, including face lift, brow lift, rhinoplasty, and more, depending on each patient’s individual appearance concerns.
Recuperation After Otoplasty:
- Outpatient surgery
- Not painful
- Recommend one week off school/work because of head bandage
- Return to full activity by two weeks
- Avoid physical contact for six weeks
For more information on otoplasty or other cosmetic surgery procedures, contact plastic surgeon Ronald Schuster, MD today to schedule a consultation.