Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)
in Baltimore, MD
Baltimore tummy tuck surgeon Ronald Schuster, MD works with each individual to develop a treatment approach that addresses personal goals and needs. He offers a number of tummy tuck options at his Baltimore, Maryland plastic surgery practice to help his patients enjoy an improved body contour and enhanced body image.
Purpose of Tummy Tuck Procedures:
- To remove loose, excess skin and fat from the abdomen
- To tighten muscle, improve tone and flatten the shape of the abdomen
- To improve waistline in and out of clothing
Video: Tummy Tuck
Do you want a trim, toned mid-section? Baltimore tummy tuck surgeon Dr. Schuster can help. Learn about the various tummy tuck techniques available.
Tummy Tuck Techniques:
- Tummy tuck or abdominoplasty varies from mini to full to a circumferential body lift, depending upon the amount and quality of extra skin, the amount of fat and any prior abdominal surgery such as gall bladder surgery, hernia repair, scar revision, tubal ligation, appendectomy, and hysterectomy. Patients interested in tummy tuck options can visit our Baltimore, Maryland area practice for an initial consultation and evaluation with Dr. Schuster to determine the best treatment for them.
- A mini tummy tuck at our Maryland center can be performed through a short incision directly above the pubic hair. It generally includes aggressive liposuction, tightening of the lower abdominal muscles and removal of a small amount of skin. It relies on good skin quality. Its benefit is a very small inconspicuous scar.
- A full tummy tuck is best for the removal of excessive skin. This can be for the very thin patient who has a great deal of stretch marks or crumpled skin, as well as the heavier patient who has a thick roll of skin and fat. The scar is longer but generally heals well and is placed in an area which is easily covered by clothing, bathing suits and lingerie.
- A circumferential tummy tuck may be performed for patients at our practice when there is excess loose skin which extends around the sides and even over the hips. In this situation the best results are achieved when the entire trunk, both front and back, is addressed. This usually includes additional liposuction to the hips and lower back, together with removal of the extra skin. The scar circles around the waist but is positioned to be hidden beneath the underwear as much as possible.
- All tummy tuck options at our Baltimore, Maryland area center can be combined with breast augmentation, breast reduction, breast lift, or liposuction in other areas depending on your individual goals. Additionally, Dr. Schuster provides facelift, rhinoplasty, eyelid surgery, brow lift, BOTOX® Cosmetic, Restylane® and other wrinkle fillers, laser resurfacing, skin care, and more to further enhance tummy tuck results.
- These are trade-off operations. You are able to trade a sagging shape you do not like for a tighter shape you do like, but which has visible scars.
- Both standard tummy tuck procedures are generally performed as outpatient surgeries, but occasionally a single overnight hospital stay is recommended.
Recuperation After Tummy Tuck Surgery:
Full and Circumferential Tummy Tuck:
- Recommend two weeks off from school/work
- Back to full activity and light sports in four weeks
- Return to strenuous exercise in six weeks
- Must wear girdle/binder for six weeks
Mini Tummy Tuck
- Recovery is half as long as full tummy tuck
For more information on tummy tuck options, please contact our Baltimore, Maryland area plastic surgeon today.