Tummy Tuck Surgery in Baltimore
Tired of wearing support garments? Not seeing the results of diet and exercise on your belly? Embarrassed by your loose tummy skin?
You’d be hard-pressed to find a woman whose abdomen doesn’t look significantly different after pregnancy and childbirth. Even the most in-shape mothers still struggle with pregnancy-related changes to the abdomen. During pregnancy, the abdominal muscles separate, the skin stretches and the tummy develops extra “padding” to accommodate the growing baby. After pregnancy, the muscles and skin won’t return to their original condition on their own — they must be surgically corrected. Tummy tuck (a.k.a., abdominoplasty) is the best way to treat pregnancy-related changes in the abdomen, so you can enjoy a flatter, firmer tummy and a more attractive physique.
Tummy tuck surgeon Ronald Schuster, MD works with each individual to develop a treatment approach that addresses personal goals and needs. He offers a number of tummy tuck options at his plastic surgery practice to help his patients enjoy an improved body contour and enhanced body image.
Purpose of Tummy Tuck Procedures:
- To remove loose, excess skin and fat from the abdomen
- To tighten muscle, improve tone and flatten the shape of the abdomen
- To improve waistline in and out of clothing
Dr. Schuster on Tummy Tuck Surgery
Tummy Tuck Techniques:
- Tummy tuck or abdominoplasty varies from mini to full to a circumferential body lift, depending upon the amount and quality of extra skin, the amount of fat and any prior abdominal surgery such as gall bladder surgery, hernia repair, scar revision, tubal ligation, appendectomy, and hysterectomy. Patients interested in tummy tuck options can visit our Baltimore, Maryland area practice for an initial consultation and evaluation with Dr. Schuster to determine the best treatment for them.
- A mini tummy tuck at our Maryland center can be performed through a short incision directly above the pubic hair. It generally includes aggressive liposuction, tightening of the lower abdominal muscles and removal of a small amount of skin. It relies on good skin quality. Its benefit is a very small inconspicuous scar.
- A full tummy tuck is best for the removal of excessive skin. This can be for the very thin patient who has a great deal of stretch marks or crumpled skin, as well as the heavier patient who has a thick roll of skin and fat. The scar is longer but generally heals well and is placed in an area which is easily covered by clothing, bathing suits and lingerie.
- A circumferential tummy tuck may be performed for patients at our practice when there is excess loose skin which extends around the sides and even over the hips. In this situation the best results are achieved when the entire trunk, both front and back, is addressed. This usually includes additional liposuction to the hips and lower back, together with removal of the extra skin. The scar circles around the waist but is positioned to be hidden beneath the underwear as much as possible.
- These are trade-off operations. You are able to trade a sagging shape you do not like for a tighter shape you do like, but which has visible scars.
- Both standard tummy tuck procedures are generally performed as outpatient surgeries, but occasionally a single overnight hospital stay is recommended.
Recuperation After Tummy Tuck Surgery:
Full and Circumferential Tummy Tuck:
- Recommend two weeks off from school/work
- Back to full activity and light sports in four weeks
- Return to strenuous exercise in six weeks
- Must wear girdle/binder for six weeks
Mini Tummy Tuck
- Recovery is half as long as full tummy tuck
Tummy Tuck Cost
At the practice of plastic surgeon Dr. Ronald H. Schuster, we realize that the cost of tummy tuck is one of the primary considerations for prospective patients deciding whether to have this body contouring procedure. With this in mind, we make every effort to keep the costs of our cosmetic surgery procedures as low as possible, so our procedures are widely accessible.
We accept several payment options for added convenience. These include cash, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and loan funds from a personal, home equity or medical loan. We also offer financing options through CareCredit, a third-party affiliate. CareCredit provides a revolving line of credit for those who qualify, for exclusive use toward elective procedures. CareCredit offers several payment plans and low interest rates, as well as a no-interest option. To apply online, click here.
If you are contemplating undergoing tummy tuck with Dr. Schuster, we are happy to answer any questions you may have regarding tummy tuck cost, or the procedure itself. During your consultation, we will review payment and financing options with you, as well as discuss your aesthetic objectives and establish if you are an appropriate tummy tuck candidate.
Tummy Tuck Cost Considerations
We recognize the importance of receiving affordable cosmetic treatment. Nonetheless, we would also like to emphasize that cost should not be the only factor that you consider when deciding whether to undergo cosmetic surgery and which surgeon should perform your surgery.
Due to the invasive nature of surgery in general, all surgical procedures, including elective plastic surgery procedures, carry inherent risks. In addition to surgical complications, patients who undergo cosmetic surgery with an underqualified plastic surgeon also run the risk of receiving unsatisfactory aesthetic results.
Be wary of cheap prices, “great” deals and dramatic discounts. Often, these marketing ploys are a strong indication that the physician offering the drastic discount is willing to cut corners to reduce his or her overhead costs. Taking shortcuts to save money frequently leads to devastating consequences in terms of the quality of care delivered — you get what you pay for.
In addition, when your tummy tuck surgery is done well by an experienced plastic surgeon, you are more likely to have a quicker, smoother recovery period. A smooth recovery allows you to return to work and your normal activities sooner, providing added value because you are forgoing less of your income during the recovery period.
These reasons demonstrate how crucial it is to undergo tummy tuck or any other type of cosmetic surgery with an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon — such as Dr. Ronald Schuster.
Dr. Schuster is fellowship trained in plastic surgery and is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is Chief of Plastic Surgery at Baltimore’s Northwest Hospital Center. Most importantly, Dr. Schuster has more than two decades of plastic surgery experience, so he knows how to help you attain the aesthetic results you desire from tummy tuck.
Determining Tummy Tuck Cost
In general, the overall cost of tummy tuck includes the surgeon’s fee, the anesthesiologist’s fee and the facility fee. (The facility fee can vary, depending on if the surgery is performed in an office, ambulatory center or hospital operating room.) There are also a few miscellaneous expenses associated with tummy tuck, including the cost of the required lab testing, the postsurgical compression garments and any pain medication that you may need.
Dr. Schuster customizes tummy tuck surgery to meet the unique needs of each individual. As a result, we cannot provide an exact quote for the cost of tummy tuck without first consulting with the prospective patient. Only by consulting with prospective patients about their distinct anatomical needs and aesthetic goals for surgery can we properly determine the cost of treatment.
We take the following factors into consideration when determining the cost of tummy tuck:
- General health of the individual
- Complexity of the surgical procedure
- Which surgical techniques are required for the patient to attain his/her cosmetic goals
- Extent of postsurgical care needed
Following your personal consultation and an evaluation of these factors, we can provide you with a more precise figure for the cost of tummy tuck with Dr. Schuster.
Our knowledgeable, attentive team is available to speak with you about the cost of tummy tuck. To schedule a consultation, please contact our practice now.