at Our Baltimore, Maryland Area Center
Male breast reduction is performed for abnormal male breast enlargement, called gynecomastia. At our Baltimore, Maryland center, cosmetic surgeon Ronald Schuster, MD can help determine if gynecomastia surgery is an appropriate treatment option based on each patient’s individual needs.
Purpose of Gynecomastia Surgery:
- To treat gynecomastia, a condition that causes enlarged male breasts
- To reduce breast size and decrease sagging or excess skin
- To create a flatter, firmer chest
- To reduce psychological distress or embarrassment
Video: Male Breast Reduction Surgery
Gynecomastia Surgery Techniques:
- Most of the time, gynecomastia surgery at our Baltimore, Maryland area center can be performed using ultrasonic or tumescent liposuction. This removes the extra breast tissue, shapes the remaining fat on the chest, and corrects the problem with a very small scar, about a half-inch long.
- Surgery is performed as a short outpatient procedure.
- Other possible causes of gynecomastia are excess alcohol or marijuana use, obesity, and anabolic steroids. Correction of these factors should be completed prior to undergoing gynecomastia surgery at our Baltimore, Maryland area center.
Recuperation After Gynecomastia Surgery:
- Dr. Schuster typically recommends a week off from school/work.
- You will wear a compression vest beneath your clothes for three weeks. The vest helps to control the swelling and helps to shrink the skin quickly.
- You may resume exercise in two weeks.
- You will see results within the first two weeks but they will continue to improve for about three months.
Gynecomastia Surgery Alternatives:
- No treatment
- Weight reduction with diet and exercise – may not affect condition of breast tissue
General Gynecomastia Information:
- Gynecomastia is not associated with an increased risk of breast cancer. It primarily causes psychological distress, embarrassment, and other emotional side effects. This can be very severe at times and results in the avoidance of activities which require a boy or man to be seen without his shirt on. If not addressed as a youth, uneasy feelings often linger and can become an issue for men as they marry and have children. They will often have difficulty spending time with their children at the pool or beach. It is unfortunate that this problem is not spoken about more often, because gynecomastia treatment is actually very easy.
- Insurance companies rarely cover gynecomastia surgery. During your consultation, Dr. Schuster will be able to better determine if your insurance company will reimburse your procedure. Whenever possible, our staff will write to your insurance company before your gynecomastia surgery is performed so that you will know in advance what kind of coverage to expect.
To learn more about gynecomastia treatment options, please contact our Baltimore, Maryland plastic surgeon for a private consultation.